Hopp's Hockey Weekend: Ranked (Updated 2020)
So far the Father/Daughter duo has completed their 7th year of Hopp's Hockey Weekend (to be clear that father daughter team is composed of dad and myself). For the past seven years we have seen the Chicago Blackhawks in action in a place other than their home ice of the United Center. In order to keep record of our endeavors I have ranked the past seven weekends in several categories.
*Note: These rankings are solely my own and in no way shape or form reflect the opinions of Padre Hop or Hoppen-rant
The Hopp Hockey Duo in Yosemite with the Stanley Cup; could be considered the original weekend
2019-2020 Season: Blackhawks @ Tampa Bay Lightning; 5-2; Hawks Wind
2018-2019 Season: Blackhawks @ Los Angeles Kings; 3-6; Kings Win
2017-2018 Season: Blackhawks @ Colorado Avalanche; 0-5; Avalanche Win
2016-2017 Season: Blackhawks @ Boston Bruins; 1-0 F; Hawks Win
2015-2016 Season: Blackhawks @ Dallas Stars; 5-1 F; Hawks Win
2014-2015 Season: Blackhawks @ Anaheim Ducks; 4-1 F; Hawks Win
2013-2014 Season: Blackhawks @ Nashville Predators; 5-7 F; Predators Win
2012-2013 Season: Blackhawks @ Phoenix Coyotes; 6-2 F; Hawks Win
1) Boston- Hossa scores with 1:26 left on the clock! A-Mazing
2) Tampa- Seriously?! 5 unanswered goals in the 3rd period. Seriously?!
3) Anaheim- The game was significantly closer than the score indicated
4) Dallas- Great game for the Hawks to win as the Stars were playing some A+ hockey leading up to the game
5) Phoenix- Hawks stayed focus to beat the Coyotes after getting knocked out by Phoenix in the 2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs
6) Nashville- Last game before the Hawks went to the playoffs, they hung in there even with most of their stars benched
7) LA- It was great to see Kane and Toews on the same line, but after a quick 2 goals by the Kings, the game was over as soon as it started
8) Colorado- Oh dear, no Crawford, no Toews, it was rough, like forgetting to show up to the last two periods rough. Maybe it's the start of a rebuilding era?
1) Boston- Bean town was everything I thought it would be. From the Freedom Trail to the New England Clam Chowda it was a great city to explore.
2) Nashville- The Home of country music sure does like their hockey. With the area in the heart of downtown it was great to grab a beer after the game and listen to live music on Lower Broadway
3) Denver- Love the mountains and the beer! The Lodo District around Union Station is a great atmosphere to grab food and drinks before or after the game.
4) Phoenix- The desert climate was much needed in late January and hike up Camelback was a great adventure in addition to the hockey.
5) Tampa- While we didn't spend that much time in Tampa but the area was nice and St. Petersburg was amazing. I enjoyed the Central Ave district and enjoyed the couple hours at the beach
6) Los Angeles- If it hadn't rained the who weekend it would have been ranked higher, but Shake Shack made up for crappy weather
7) Anaheim- The arena really isn't close to anything, but that was made up for with a trip to the beach and a trip to Disneyland
8) Dallas- What could be better than a hawks game? TWO hawks games. With the Jayhawks mens BBall team in town to take on the TCU horned frogs, it was a great sporting weekend for hawks fans! But Dallas just isn't my town.
"Go back to Canada" -Phoenix Coyote Fan
Best Priced Tickets:
Phoenix Coyotes- No one cares about hockey in the desert, except the away fans
Best Day Adventure:
California Adventure- Who doesn't love Disney?
Panza- Boston's North End Italian food was bar none
Dealey Plaza: This JFK museum was enough to give me some goosebumps while walking around the Grassy Knoll
Hatch Show Print-Nashville
Massachusetts State House- Boston
Best Non-Hockey Sporting Event for the Duo:
Sporting KC v Real Salt Lake MLS Championship 2013; 1-1; Sporting Wins in Penalty Kicks
Best Hockey Event Outside of a Hopps Hockey Weekend:
Stanley Cup 2012 @ Yosemite National Park
Alluvial Fan- Denver (Rocky Mountain National Park)
The duo at the arenas:
@ Amalie Arena in Tampa
@ Staples Center in LA
@ Pepsi Center in Denver
@TD Garden in Boston
@American Airlines Center in Dallas
@Bridgestone Arena in Nashville
@Honda Center in Anaheim
Missing: @Jobing.com Arena Phoenix